In April 1929, civic leader Paul E. Greenlaw made the first effort to organize a fire department. Simmons was the first fire chief and Dr. T.C.W. Magee was the secretary. Greenlaw donated a truck to haul the equipment. Enough town support was gained to erect five or six small houses in the business section. These houses were used to store the two wheel carts of fire hose. Others included in this e
arly group of fire fighters were: Fred Bateman, Odgen Doremus and Vic McKenzie. In approximately 1933, a disastrous fire almost destroyed the business section of Franklinton. The fire department of Bogalusa saved the town. In 1934, throughout the efforts of Mr. Paul E. Greenlaw, our modern fire department was organized. A tax of 5 mills (two for the fire department and three for water works) was passed in 1934. George Varnado was appointed Fire Chief. Varnado and Mr. Bryan Fussell went to Logansport, Indiana to accept delivery of the fire truck. At the time of the purchase Mr. L.O. Torregrossa was mayor and Mr. C.J. Gayer, P.N. Givens, Geo. Brown, W.E. Magee, and Robert W. Bateman were council members. Bateman and Mr. Magee still reside in Franklinton and Mr. Givens in Bogalusa. In 1947 a second truck, a Chevrolet, was purchased. In 1950 a fire station and city hall was completed. Currently in 2022, the depart has 16 serving members, 4 engines, 2 rescue units, 1 ladder truck, 1 tanker, and 1 brush truck. The eight bay station holds, its engines and utility trucks. It also has a large meeting/training room, kitchen, and offices, and has the capabilities to dispatch its units. https://www.townoffranklinton.com/blank-page-6